Guidelines to using the ACT Heritage Library oral history recording resources
What does the ACT Heritage Library provide?
- Oral history recording kits
- Loan of these kits for 6 weeks
- Access to recording and related materials in the ACT Heritage Library reading room, on the website and via social media channels
- Description of recordings, summaries and transcriptions (if provided) in the Libraries ACT catalogue, on the Collections page and findable via Trove.
What does the ACT Heritage Library collect?
The ACT Heritage Library collects material which documents the social, cultural, economic and political history of Canberra and the Australian Capital Territoy. This includes books, journals, newspapers, archives, manuscripts, photographs, ephemera, maps, plans, reports and original materials such as manuscripts and oral histories.
What does the ACT Heritage Library require in an oral history project?
- A subject that fits the ACT Heritage Library Collection
- Deposit of the interviews in .wav format
- Deposit of timed summaries and any written summaries ot transcriptions on the interview, in .doc format
- Signed copy of the agreement between interviewee and ACT Heritage Library, including permission to make the recording and products available for use.
As a guide you may like to look at oral histories already in the ACT Heritage Library Collection. These can be accessed in the ACT Heritage Library reading room.
Contents of the oral history kits:
- Digital recorder, either Marantz or H4n
- Power source
- SD or CF cards
- Card readers
- Microphone stands
- Oral History Handbook, by Beth M Robertson
- Thumb drive for electronic copies of recordings, timed summaries and other summaries or transciptions
- Supporting documents:
- 'Oral history basics'
- Blank forms for agreement between the interviewwee and the ACT Heritage Library
- Guidelines for using ACT Heritage Library oral history recording resources
- Examples of timed summaries
- List of kit contents
To borrow a recording kit, you must have discussed your project with the Manager and agreed to deposit copies of your recordings in the collection.
P: 02 62075163
Kits may be borrowed from the ACT Heritage Library, 255 Canberra Avenue, Fyshwick during opening hours. They may not be borrowed from public library branches.
Kits must be returned to the ACT Heritage Library during opening hours. They may not be returned through the public library after hours return chutes.
ACT Heritage Library hours are:
Monday - Friday, 9.30 am - 5 pm
Saturday, 10 am - 4 pm