At Home Brain & Boredom Busters
There are many resources and activities you can access from home. We've gathered some of those related to libraries, literacy and reading below.
Your library membership lets you download, stream and use the library at home with our eResources. Find them all here.
- eBooks and eAudio books - Thousands of titles available for download.
- Streaming stories - For kids from preschool to upper primary.
- Movies and documentaries - Streaming indie, classic and Australian movies and award-winning documentaries, including enriching and entertaining content for kids.
- Music - Millions of songs to stream or download.
- Digital magazines - Download hundreds of titles.
- Literacy games - Activities for kids from pre-reading to advanced grammar.
- Language learning - More than 70 languages available.
Online story time
Join us for our mini story times online with library staff sharing some of our favourite Australian picture books.
Thank you to the Australian Society of Authors, Australian Publishers' Association and the Australian Library Association for allowing us to bring stories to you in this way.
Explore Canberra and its history
Discover historical images of Canberra through the ACT Heritage Library's photograph collection.
Reading & literacy activities plus authors & illustrators
There are many reading and literacy related activities and resources available online, and some of our wonderful local authors sharing their stories and book reviews and chats online, as are authors around the world, mainly through their social media channels. Try the recommendations below.Better Reading podcast
- First 5 Forever
- Hands-On Lego Literacy Activities Kids Will Love
- Harry Potter: A History of Magic online exhibition
- Jack Heath live readings on Instagram
- Kids Book Review
- Libraries ACT Reading Challenge
- The Little Big Book Club
- Lunch Doodles with Mo Willems
- Reading Rockets video interviews with children's authors and illustrators
- Tania McCartney book sharing, reviews and more
- Teach. Investigate. Play. Ideas for Parents & Teachers
Technology learning & resources online
- Be Connected
- Office of the eSafety Commissioner
- Online safety kit for parents and carers during the coronavirus - from the eSafety Commissioner
- Stay Smart Online
- Teach, learn & work remotely - Grow with Google
- Tools & Resources for COVID-19 - Google for Small Business
- Better Reading podcast
- Classic Radio Drama
- Nothing Much Happens: Bedtime stories for adults to help you sleep
Multilingual resources for kids
- Pinkfong - Kids’ Songs and Stories – English and French (search [français] in the channel)
- Pinkfong- Kids’ Songs and Stories – ピンキッツ - Japanese version
- Pinkfong- Kids’ Songs and Stories – Canciones infantiles – Spanish
- Pinkfong- Kids’ Songs and Stories – 碰碰狐 - (Pengpenghu) Chinese version
Visit the websites of cultural institutions who have a range of podcasts, webinars, audio on demand, classroom resources, family activities, and more online. They include