About Libraries ACT
We deliver public library services to the ACT community. We are the only public library service in Canberra, which is Australia's capital city, and serves a population of over 350,000 people.
Libraries ACT is also responsible for the ACT Heritage Library, which helps tell the stories of Canberra and its people. It collects, preserves, promotes and provides access to documents that record the lives of Canberra's residents.
Libraries ACT champions literacy, learning and the pleasure of reading, and inspires and connects people, engaging them with their community and the world.
A Few Facts and Figures
- We welcome almost 2 million visitors each year.
- Around 2.5 million physical items are borrowed and then returned to the library each year, along with more than 354,000 digital items.
- More than 74,000 people attended learning programs in 2016-17.
- The most requested books in 2016 were The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo, Reckoning by Magda Szubanski, Spark Joy by Marie Kondo, The Road to Ruin by Nikki Savva and The Natural Way of Things by Charlotte Wood.
- The most requested DVDs in 2016 were The Dressmaker, The Martian, Bridge of Spies, Spectre and Game of Thrones: The Complete Fifth Season.