ACT Heritage Library Ephemera Collection
Ephemera is produced for a specific and immediate purpose and intended to be thrown away. Some examples of ephemera include posters, brochures, flyers/dodgers, programs, tickets, invitations, menus, catalogues and paper-based promotional items such as coasters and napkins.
We collect ephemera because it:
- Is often the only record of an event, particularly of short lived organisations and reactive events
- Provides documentary evidence of business, community, social and cultural life
- Offers evidence of trends in communication, psychology of selling, consumerism, fashion, art and design
- Has a display value
The collection is extensive and dates back to the very beginnings of the ACT. We arrange our ephemera in five main categories:
1. General - Items which do not fit into any of the below categories.
2. ACT Government - File title list coming soon.
3. Performing Arts
- Complete company and venue list
- Canberra Theatre Centre ephemera holdings 1965-2006 (Word 4.1MB)
- Canberra Theatre Centre ephemera holdings 1965-2006 (PDF 6.2MB)
- Australian National University Venues 1965-2006 (Word 2.9MB)
- Australian National University Venues 1965-2006 (PDF 4.3MB)
4. Visual Arts - Files of invitations, posters, flyers and other promotional material concerning exhibitions of visual arts in the ACT and immediate district.
5. Posters - Due to their size, items A3 size and larger in all categories, are filed as posters and are arranged by subject.